Friday, December 11, 2009

OhKay i dont have a Baby Daddy "i saw this n just wanna to share dont mean to offend ne 1 just share this thoughts on the matter..

Bitchie Mail: Stop Referring To Him As “Baby Daddy”…( this came 4. NecoleBitchie.com ) ck out the web site its a good 1.!!

Looks like I may have ticked off a reader with my use of Baby’s Father in my caption of Erykah Badu and Jay Electronica yesterday. I have nothing but respect and admiration for Ms. Badu and didn’t mean any harm. Here’s her email. She raised some good points:

I’m an avid fan of your website, when I turn on my computer in the morning you’re the first thing I check before my emails. I respect your character that you portray when in giving your opinions and insights. This morning while reading the post on Erykah Badu and her “baby father” it rubbed me wrong. I guess it’s because I’ve been trying to convince young black women why that statement is so ignorant and the effect it has on us as a people.

When people say that young black women are no longer striving to be wives (not in the title but in the sense of value you have to that man) they are right. Too often when I walk down staircases of project housing I see what normally would be “James loves Janet, 2 getha 4 eva to be replace by the latter with ’soon to be baby mother”.

Many of these young impressionable girls and even some undereducated adults believe that having a child with someone replaces the commitment that marriage once use to represent. I’ve talked to women when asked if they would marry the man they’re willing to produce a child with and almost always its an emphatic NO. Why? when a child is more of a long term agreement than a marriage which can be broken.

I would like for our women to stop selling their selves short. When you’re refer to yourself as a “baby mama” there is such an impersonal tone where you see there was no seriousness in a situation where they should be. Both you and a man decided to have a child together before your relationship reached maturity and since you are not important enough to regard with a title that showed a connection that informal/impersonal “baby mama”/”baby father” is attached to you. Every time a man tells me he has a “baby mama” I don’t think of an ex-girlfriend he was in love with and shared some type of relationship, it gives me the impression of a one night stand, or a jump off he accidentally got pregnant and she kept it to trap him because that’s the tone he uses and with disgust and regret.

Now I’m not insinuating that your usage promotes this but I would like if we all would stop using it and referring to ourselves as such. We are mothers of their children, they are fathers of our children, they are our exes, there was a relationship until that point of conception or there should have been. Stop having children with men we only have dated for a few months, that is not a symbol of commitment. We as a people need to develop fully emotionally before we pursue these these things in life. A person who hasn’t reach emotional maturity cannot lead a child there themselves or a partner.

Thanks for allowing me to share -Mrs. Jefferson

No comments:

Post a Comment